Baby Diaper Bag/Nappy Bag - Being Prepared
Going out with your baby is more like taking a vacation - there is so much stuff that you MIGHT need. Even if you're just going out for a few hours.
I refused to buy a diaper bag before my baby arrived, thinking I was that organised I didn't need one. After being caught "empty handed on a number of occasions" I quickly gave in. My choice was for something that didn't look too baby-ish, but there are so many to choose from. Make sure it is large enough to be used for even a day out.
What you'll need in your diaper bag:
- A small supply of clothes, in case something becomes soiled from poop, vomit, feeding. That includes everything, from singlet (underwear), to an extra cardigan in case the weather changes.
- Diapers/nappies - keep a small supply (at least 3 or 4) in the bag and replenish when you get home.
- Items for cleaning baby's bottom, eg baby wipes, barrier cream, and something in which to store the soiled diapers til you get home.
- If you're breastfeeding, you may need breast pads, or if you're expressing - your equipment for expressing.
- If you're not breastfeeding, estimate how many feeds you need for the time you'll be out and add one extra in case you're delayed. It's best to prepare the feed just before you need it so have your formula and some boiled water in a thermos type bag. It's best if the water can be boiled just before you need it.
- If you use baby soothers, (pacifiers or dummies)
- Spare blanket
- Bright toy to amuse your baby.